Have you just bought a new Mac? Are you trying to figure out how to personalize it more to your tastes? Well you have found the right article. Use some of these tips and tricks to get your Mac looking and feeling the way you want it to.
Changing Your Desktop
This perhaps more than any other part of your computer screams what type of personality you have. Are you artistic? Are you laid back? Are you simple? These questions can usually be answered by what your desktop background looks like. Here are the steps:
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences to open the System Preferences window.
- Click the Desktop & Screen Saver button.
- Click the Desktop tab; the left pane will list the different folders from which you can choose an image. The right pane will display thumbnails.
- Click Apple Images to select it. You’ll see the default picture in the right pane, along with a bunch of other images.
- Click any thumbnail to instantly change the desktop image. Feel free to click a few different ones to try them out.
- Now select Nature in the left pane. Then click any of its thumbnails to place a nature type picture on your desktop. Do the same for Abstract.
- If you’d rather have a solid color desktop, select Solid Colors in the left pane, and select a color swatch from the right pane.
- When satisfied with your choice, close the Preferences window.
If you are trying to be even more artistic and personal, then you can even select your own pictures and artwork from your personal albums. The steps are almost the same, but this time you need to access your photo/artwork library.
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
- In the window, click Desktop & Screen Saver.
- If you want to use a photo from your iPhoto Library, select Library in the left pane. Otherwise, select Choose Folder, navigate to and select the folder that contains your image, and click Choose.
*Everyone keeps his or her images in different places, just go to the folder that contains the image you are looking for.
This is the area of your computer that will allow you to customize and personalize just about anything related to your Mac computer. To access your system settings, click on the Apple menu icon on the top left of your tool bar. There are of course the normal sound and look functions you can adjust, but you will also to be able to customize and personalize everything else from there. Settings and Options you can play with include:
- Desktop and Screen Saver
- Expose and Spaces
- DVD and CD
- Energy Saver
- Keyboard and Mouse
- Print and Fax
Internet and Network
- Mobile Me
- Date and Time
- Parental Controls
- Software Update
- Startup Disk
- Time Machine
- Universal Access
*The display categories will be the same on any Mac, however the icons may vary depending on the model and year of your Mac.
Personalizing your Mac is simple and easy. Macs give you the power to do what you want. It is simple and hassle free to make your Mac as customizable as you want it.